SOLVED Re: mysql broken after jessie upgrade

On 22/09/16 13:59, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 01:07:49PM +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

>>> Is the mysql daemon running? Try "service mysqld status" or however
>>> that's named in the brave new systemd world (I'm still in the messy
>>> old sysv world, mind you ;-)
>>>
>> Thanks tomas;
>
> You might check whether there's a process called (more or less) mysql
> around:
>
>   ps wwwaux | grep mysql

Ther was...

> you might have a look into wherever mysql places its log files (unless
> they've been kidnapped by systemd, in which case I'd have to defer to
> smarter people; but I don't believe that). Look somewhere in /var/log/mysql.

No all the log files were there, but empty...

> Then you might try to invoke (gasp!) "/etc/init.d/mysql start" (as root)
> yourself and see whether it spews any error messages giving any clues.

Nothing...

> Then you could issue an "netstat -antp" as root, to see whether the
> mysql daemon is listening on some other (non-default) port.

No...

It turns out that the recent upgrade took mysql from 5.5 to 5.6. It
uninstalled mysql-server-5.5, but failed to install mysql-server-5.6,
due to an unmet dependency on mysql-server-core-5.6.

I manually installed mysql-server-core-5.6, after which mysql-server-5.6
installed fine.

Mysql now starts correctly.

Thanks for your help,

tony

>> Ariège, France     |
>
> Wonderful region, btw. I've got warm and sweet memories from summer
> 2015...

Very warm and sunny right now. The trees are just starting to change colour.

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |