Re: openssh-server's default config is dangerous

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I often need something like this when running inside a chroot and
> >> always have trouble finding the clean&easy way to do it
> > Here's one example that mk-sbuild uses:
> > (jessie-amd64)$ cat /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d
> > #!/bin/sh
> > while true; do
> >     case "$1" in
> >       -*) shift ;;
> >       makedev) exit 0;;
> >       x11-common) exit 0;;
> >       *) exit 101;;
> >     esac
> > done
>
> Pretty far from my ideal of having some boolean setting under /etc somewhere.

You could potentially just use the policyrcd-script-zg2 package, and
then your boolean setting would be:

  echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nexit101;" > /etc/policy-rc.d.

Or something similar. [Or if you really just want a boolean, you could
potentially write your own package which plugged into policy-rc.d which
just checked if /etc/no_daemons or something existed to determine
whether it should exit 101 or not; you could possibly even figure out if
you were running under dpkg, and just block starting/restarting daemons
during package install/remove time.]

> It's actually worse: in some of my chroots (such as LilDebi's) I do
> want daemons to be started&stopped, while in others (typically when I
> mount some external disk that holds some other machine's (broken) root
> filesystem, in order to fix it) I don't.
>
> So even if we could reliably identify that we're in a chroot jail, it
> wouldn't tell us whether daemons should be started/stopped.

Yep. This problem is exactly why the policy-rc.d framework exists; it's
way too difficult to figure out in what circumstances which daemons
should be started/stopped. Chroot-specific configuration is pretty much
the only way.

[Or, using systemd, which handles things slightly more elegantly using
systemctl enable|disable.]

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

-tommorow is our permanent address
and there they'll scarcely find us(if they do,
we'll move away still further:into now
 -- e.e. cummings "XXXIX" _1 x 1_