Re: Totally non-functioning wifi card- starting again completely was: Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 19:32:47 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 04 July 2016 19:00:02 Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 18:30:47 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > root@debian-wheezy:/home/sarah# wpa-cli
> > > bash: wpa-cli: command not found
> >
> > Do you think I would deliberately give a command which does not exist?
> > Try using a bit of common or garden. It's a typo.
>
> No, of course not.  That didn't even cross my mind.  I thought that there must
> be a package that I needed and didn't have installed and spent ages trying to
> find it.  I did eventually spot the typo because the twice you had typed it
> were different.  But detail is genuinely difficult for me to see - I only
> spotted it when I thought that I must have done a typo because the package
> was so unfindable.

Sorry. I was being contentious and grumpy. I prefer my contentious side :)

> > [...Snip...]
> >
> > > Selected interface 'wlan0'
> >
> > Fine.
> >
> > > Interactive mode
> > >
> > > <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS

> > > 0
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > > <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS

> > > FAIL
> >
> > Look at what I typed. I was particularly careful at this point and
> > nearly warned about leaving things out.
>
> <quote>
>  set_network 0 ssid "Your_SSID"
> </quote>
>
> What did I leave out that I should not have left out/not leave out that I
> should have left out?  The quotation marks, I suppose. :-(  Otherwise it
> would probably have been <your_SSID>?

The quotation marks. They are required. <your_SSID> being correct could
be checked with "scan" and "scan_results".

> > > I'm stuck.  Or out of my depth.  Or drowning.  Or all three. :-(  But
> > > there seesm ot be a problem with my SSID  Not set by me - perhaps I
> > > should change
> >
> > There is no problem with your SSID.
>
> OK.. PEBCAK.  But enlighten me so that I perhaps succeed in learning.
>
> I could do with knowing this in general, not just for this specific case.
>
> Thanks for the help.  I either try and make a fool of myself, or learn
> nothing.

You are not making a fool of yourself. I think the question is whether
the network card is functioning. If the technique I have advocated does
not produce association it becomes a possibility. Either that or the
access point is malfunctioning. You cannot get any lower investigatory
method than this without killing yourself with 0s and 1s.

Personally, I am interested in the outcome that wpa_cli produces.
(Notice I remembered the "_". :)