Re: Totally non-functioning wifi card- starting again completely was: Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 18:30:47 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> root@debian-wheezy:/home/sarah# wpa_cli

That is the correct command.

> wpa_cli v2.3
> Copyright (c) 2004-2014, Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi> and contributors
>
> This software may be distributed under the terms of the BSD license.
> See README for more details.
>
> Selected interface 'wlan0'

An interface called 'wlan0' has been found, That is good. There is a
live wireless card available,

> Interactive mode
>
> <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> > add_network
> 0

This is the number the added network has been allocated. Stick with it.
Do not deviate from it. Do not refer at any time to another number.

> <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> > set_network 0 ssid NETGEAR08
> FAIL

Are you sure "NETGEAR08" is the SSID? Check with

  scan

followed by

  scan_results

at the prompt. The name is case sensitive. If it is correct then

  set_network 0 ssid "NETGEAR08"

should give OK and not FAIL.

***** The SSID must have quotation marks round it. *****

> > set_network 0 ssid netgear08
> FAIL

The SSID is case-sensitive, Quotation marks are obligitory.

> <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> > add_network
> 1

You are configuring network number 0, not network number 1. Do not
change horses etc, etc.

> <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS artwh
> > set_network psk xxxxxxx

You have no network number in the command. This is what the response
tells you.

> Invalid SET_NETWORK command: needs three arguments
> (network id, variable name, and value)

In my opinion there is nothing untoward in the working of your network
card. If there was the kernel would not have found it and modules and
firmware would not have been loaded.

Addendum
--------

I notice just now you have succeeded in demonstrating the correctness
of my assertion in the last paragraph. But I'll post this anyway.