Re: Totally non-functioning wifi card- starting again completely was: Re: Laptop wireless problem

On Monday 04 July 2016 19:00:02 Brian wrote:
> On Mon 04 Jul 2016 at 18:30:47 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > root@debian-wheezy:/home/sarah# wpa-cli
> > bash: wpa-cli: command not found
>
> Do you think I would deliberately give a command which does not exist?
> Try using a bit of common or garden. It's a typo.

No, of course not.  That didn't even cross my mind.  I thought that there must
be a package that I needed and didn't have installed and spent ages trying to
find it.  I did eventually spot the typo because the twice you had typed it
were different.  But detail is genuinely difficult for me to see - I only
spotted it when I thought that I must have done a typo because the package
was so unfindable.

> [...Snip...]
>
> > Selected interface 'wlan0'
>
> Fine.
>
> > Interactive mode
> >
> > <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> >
> > > add_network
> >
> > 0
>
> Ok.
>
> > <3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
> >
> > > set_network 0 ssid NETGEAR08
> >
> > FAIL
>
> Look at what I typed. I was particularly careful at this point and
> nearly warned about leaving things out.

<quote>
 set_network 0 ssid "Your_SSID"
</quote>

What did I leave out that I should not have left out/not leave out that I
should have left out?  The quotation marks, I suppose. :-(  Otherwise it
would probably have been <your_SSID>?

> > I'm stuck.  Or out of my depth.  Or drowning.  Or all three. :-(  But
> > there seesm ot be a problem with my SSID  Not set by me - perhaps I
> > should change
>
> There is no problem with your SSID.

OK.. PEBCAK.  But enlighten me so that I perhaps succeed in learning.

I could do with knowing this in general, not just for this specific case.

Thanks for the help.  I either try and make a fool of myself, or learn
nothing.

Lisi