Re: ssh again

emetib wrote:
> [snip]
> dan has a good point about having your own nameserver.  yet with only
> three computers in your home network it's not necessarily needed.

Not "necessary", no -- but it's really helpful.  In my case, I've only
got a handful of "PCs" running, but since they move around regularly
enough (home to coffee shop, etc.), DHCP is a must ... and setting hosts
files can break things in interesting ways.

Not to mention the TV, media center, etc.  It's a lot easier to remember
"raspi-{0..2}.djph.net" to connect to the media players (0=basement,
1=ground floor, 2=2nd floor) from our phones than trying to remember the
IP address (XBMC / Kodi has a web based remote, instead of adding pieces
/ setting up the raspi to work with a standard IR remote).

> they are easy to set up and if you do have a POS sitting around
> getting dusty then it's something to play with.  you could do an
> ntp-server on it also for your private network.
>
> or just use a little used machine that is already on the network, or
> the most powerful one, it's up to you.

+1 for NTP.  Some ancient P4 with a gig or less of RAM and a 20G HDD is
more than sufficient to run DNS / NTP / DHCP (and some other things as
well).

> both are easy to set up and you don't need to open up ports on your
> firewall since they are getting response packets. and it helps with
> the knowledge curve when you start to play with the dhcp and/or static
> addresses.  maybe plug a wireless card into a pci slot and make your
> own wireless network

TBH, if you want to add wifi to the mix, you'd do better with a separate
access point nearer to where you're actually going to use it -- for
example, in your home theater -- rather than where ever your "server"
box or incoming internet connection is.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|