Re: ssh again

On Tuesday 14 June 2016 18:08:45 Brian wrote:
> On Tue 14 Jun 2016 at 16:06:17 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 June 2016 15:53:17 Mark Fletcher wrote:

> > Thanks, Mark.  I have.  After the earlier hints.  I just haven't got it
> > working yet. :-(  So I shall look at both it and having hostnames files
> > to see which I can actually succeed with.
>
> With avahi-daemon installed on both machines
>
>   ssh hostname.local
>
> should just work. No messing with config files or anything like that.
>
> /etc/hosts is fine if you are more comfortable with it but an IP address
> changing can make it a pain on the local LAN.

Works a dream!!  Thank you, Brian.  That was a remarkably easy lesson!  I
might set a hosts file up as I was shown by emetib.  It doesn't hurt to know
both, and I might some time want to ssh into a machine that hasn't got
avahi-daemon installed.

But I can see that changing IPs around could be a pain - I have several
machines that have two network cards for one reason or another, and I have
assigned different IPs to different cards in the router.

Lisi