Re: ssh again

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2016 18:08:45 Brian wrote:
>> With avahi-daemon installed on both machines
>>
>>   ssh hostname.local
>>
>> should just work. No messing with config files or anything like that.
>>
>> /etc/hosts is fine if you are more comfortable with it but an IP address
>> changing can make it a pain on the local LAN.
>
> Works a dream!!  Thank you, Brian.  That was a remarkably easy lesson!  I
> might set a hosts file up as I was shown by emetib.  It doesn't hurt
> to know both, and I might some time want to ssh into a machine that
> hasn't got avahi-daemon installed.
>
> But I can see that changing IPs around could be a pain - I have several
> machines that have two network cards for one reason or another, and I
> have assigned different IPs to different cards in the router.

This is a little more "involved" than /etc/hosts or ahavi-daemon, but
you might consider isc-dhcp-server and bind9 on a box you designate as
"your server" (I have it on a spare desktop sitting in the corner).

That way,

 - you don't have to mess with /etc/hosts as things change (e.g. got a
   new computer)
 - you don't have to worry about "oh, that one doesn't have
   ahavi-daemon"
 - you can use hostnames with networked device, including those things
   that may not have hostfiles or a decent bonjour client (phones,
   tablets, TVs, etc.)
 - Other stuff I'm forgetting :)
 - When you replace your router (or get a forced 'upgrade' from your
   ISP), you don't have to deal with "fixing things" beyond the router
   itself.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
|O|O|O|