Re: Posts don't show on list

On Sun 01 May 2016 at 18:57:32 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> B. I see no reason to go further with this since everything has been beaten
> into the ground and all of my problems have been fixed. I saw no useful
> information in the majordomo returned message (after I found it in the aol
> spam folder ). I don't use the aol web site, don't look at the aol web site

The Majordomo message tells you that gary719_list1@verizon.net is
subscribed to debian-user. You now know for certain that you will be
sent list mails. It would be quite remarkable if, out of all the
subscribers, gary719_list1@verizon.net was not kept in the loop. It is
an incentive to look at the way your received mail is handled. Which you
have.

> and hope to never have to look at it again. If something gets listed as spam
> I will normally never know this. I use good old icedove and set up my own
> filters.

I have a feeling you are misunderstanding how your mail provider's
system works and the role Icedove plays in it.

> C. I still think debian-user is being a bit cavalier with there handling of
> rejected email and their settings on maximum file sizes. With a max size of
> 10K only text can be included in an attachment. With about 50K attachments
> would become useful and would not take that much longer to transmit over a

I don't know where you (or anyone else) gets the idea there is a 10K
maximum size limit on attachments in mails sent to -user.

> dial up line. Returning rejected messages with an explanation can be
> completely automated. The argument that it would tie up bandwidth in this

You definitely do not want rejected messages with 100M attachments
returned to gary719_list1@verizon.net. How do you feel about getting one
every ten seconds.

> day and age is ridiculous. If they had done this with my messages this
> thread would be about a third of the length that it is. There is no savings
> in that level of brevity.

Not receiving an explanation about a mail which does not make it to the
list is probably a limitation in the list software, Smartlist. However,
your assumption that rejects are just thrown into the bit bucket is
unsubstantiated. They could just as well be forwarded to Listmaster for
consideration. Being a busy person, he hardly gets any time to look at
them. Then they get thrown into the bit bucket. :)