Re: Posts don't show on list

On 04/26/2016 11:24 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 04/22/2016 06:20 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
Le quartidi 4 floréal, an CCXXIV, The Wanderer a écrit :
If the list software did this modification for _all_ messages, not just
ones from Gmail addresses, I don't see how it would break threading
It breaks it for the *senders*: they would have the message in their "sent"
archive with the message-id chosen by the MUA and the rest of the thread
connected to the message (in-reply-to and references) with a different
message-id.

Interesting. Do you have any evidence for the idea that it uses more
than just Message-ID? I can't prove that it doesn't, but I've never seen
anything that I recall to indicate that it does.
A long time ago, I experimented with in-reply-to and references in order to see how gmail decided if a mail belongs in a thread, and my conclusion was that it relied more on the subject field than anything else. It was a long
time ago.

For myself, one major reason (not the only one) is that the received
copy is often different from the sent copy - modified message headers
(e.g. by adding List-ID), added mailing-list footer, et cetera.
True. A gamil users could check to see if it is possible to obtain that
information. I suspect the misfeature belongs in gmail's web interface,
actually, and the mails are really present in the archive and accessible
through IMAP.

I use a gmail account, but I hate the web interface, so I use Thunderbird with IMAP. I'm pretty sure that I get all of my posts back. I'll let you know for sure when this one comes back to me.

Marc

Yes, it came right back.  It shows as being 'Read', but it's there.

Marc