Re: Posts don't show on list

On 2016-04-22 at 08:20, Nicolas George wrote:

> Le quartidi 4 floréal, an CCXXIV, The Wanderer a écrit :
>
>> This means that the mailing-list software _could_ technically work
>> around this behavior by modifying the Message-ID of the received
>> message before it sends that message out to list members.
>>
>> That strikes me as a dreadful idea from a design perspective,
>> however, even just on basic principle....
>
> Well, breaking things for everybody (including gmail users, since
> that would separate the sent mail from the resulting thread) just in
> order to fix a minor annoyance for some users. I think "dreadful"
> does not just cover it.

If the list software did this modification for _all_ messages, not just
ones from Gmail addresses, I don't see how it would break threading; all
received messages would be modified suitably (assuming you munged the
References and In-Reply-To and similar headers to match), all recipients
would see a consistent data set, and their clients could work with the
result normally.

That doesn't make it any less dreadful, however.

> And it would probably not work anyways since gmail tries to be
> smarter than using the message-id to identify mails and threads. As
> expected that results in it being stupid.

Interesting. Do you have any evidence for the idea that it uses more
than just Message-ID? I can't prove that it doesn't, but I've never seen
anything that I recall to indicate that it does.

> And after all, gmail users, you just wrote the mail, why would you
> need it to appear as new, except for checking it arrived?

For myself, one major reason (not the only one) is that the received
copy is often different from the sent copy - modified message headers
(e.g. by adding List-ID), added mailing-list footer, et cetera. (The
fact that Gmail treats messages with these differences as identical is
part of why I think they rely on Message-ID for their differentiation.)

--
   The Wanderer