Re: Posts don't show on list

On 2016-04-22 at 07:48, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 07:25:25AM -0400, Harris Paltrowitz wrote:
>
>> On 04/22/2016 02:55 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

>>> I find it surprising, to say the least, that, even after all this
>>> time, some people still do not know that gmail does not return
>>> list posts to the writer.
>>
>> I also didn't know this...  I guess I just don't use mailing lists
>> very much these days.
>>
>> I actually find it surprising that this issue can't be controlled
>> at the Debian list server level.
>
> If the client refuses to show you a mail, how would you go about to
> solve it at the server level?

In this case, what appears to happen is that Gmail assumes that
Message-ID is unique, and consequently that it only needs to keep one
copy of a message with any given Message-ID. Since the person sending a
mail already has one message with that Message-ID (in their Sent
folder), Gmail sees the incoming mail as a duplicate, and discards it.

This means that the mailing-list software _could_ technically work
around this behavior by modifying the Message-ID of the received message
before it sends that message out to list members.

That strikes me as a dreadful idea from a design perspective, however,
even just on basic principle....

> And... would you want to complicate a server setup just to cater to
> some client idiosyncracy?

...so my answer to this would be "definitely not".

--
   The Wanderer