Re: Further to my installation error

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:49:55 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed 16 Mar 2016 at 14:49:44 (+0300), Adam Wilson wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:41:14 +0000 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > So - if you want to format an existing partition properly, so the
> > > stuff on it actually goes, use Gparted not the partitioner in the
> > > Jessie installer.  Sad.
>
> I can't see why Lisi came to that conclusion from what she reported
> here.
>
> > Is it possible for the d-i partitioning utility to sometimes make
> > mistakes when creating a new FS (I have only observed this with
> > ext4, if it even happened at all and was not a product of my
> > imagination) and somehow leave files from the old FS in the new
> > over-riding FS if the two are in the same partition?
> >
> > Sometimes after over-writing an old ext4 partition with a new ext4
> > partition of the same size and location, mysterious files have
> > appeared in the new FS which should not exist, but existed in the
>
> It's far more likely that you forgot to format the partition, if
> that's indeed what you wanted to do.
>
> "over-writing an old ext4 partition with a new ext4 partition of the
> same size and location" is exactly what one does if the partition
> table gets mangled. People who do that will then cross their fingers
> and hope that *all* the pre-existing files reappear. They're not
> "ghost" files; they're the actual files which should be untouched by
> repartitioning.
>
> Some people really can't get on with the d-i partitioner/formatter.
> At least in its curses mode, it's not the easiest interface. (I've
> never tried the graphical version.)

The graphical version is literally a GTK clone of the curses-based
interface. It responds to exactly the same commands- if one were to
close one's eyes and carry out a series of curses interface operations
with keypresses then exactly the same result would be achieved.

I actually really like the partitioner in d-i. It is a nice mix between
user-friendliness (you can just select "guided" if you don't know what
you're doing, and there are nice lists of options for everything) and
usability for more advanced users.

It provides a unified interface for setting mount options, filesystems,
partitioning, etc. rather than the fdisk + mkfs approach.