Re: Installing newer kernels

On 2016-03-19, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

>> This wipe business strikes me as vaguely scatological.  Clean and
>> cruftless and wiped (and do they wash their hands fifty times a day
>> too, just to be impeccable)?
>
> I'm not a good Debian owner.  I download and install 3rd party software.
>   I modify system configuration files.  I'm too lazy to identify and
> understand all of the ramifications of the two prior sentences, so
> reverting the changes so that a dist-upgrade can work cleanly is not
> practical.  Basically, I'm lazy.  I want to pop in a disk/USB, get to a
> known good state, and then start my butchery all over again.  ;-)

I understand what you're saying and I'm fine with it. Still--caeteris
paribus--the dist-upgrade process is a good, known, proven path to
moving from one stable release to the next. To suggest otherwise is
wrong.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that