Re: Installing newer kernels

On 03/17/2016 04:18 PM, William Lee Valentine wrote:
I have installed Debian 2.6.32-5-686 on two machines. One, a custom
machine, has a Pentium III processor running at 800 megahertz, and
has 500 megabytes of memory; the other is an IBM Mpro Intellistation
 6229 with a Pentium IIII processor running at 2.2 gigahertz, and has
 2 gigabytes of memory.

Debian notified me of updates for some time after I had had put it
on those machines. Then it ceased to have anything to say about
updates. I have four questions to ask about maintaining Debian.

(1) Am I to update the kernel periodically? Is there advantage to
doing so?

(2) If I do, will I again receive notices of updates, and will these
reference only the new kernel or the new kernel and also other
programs that I have installed?

(3) If I update the kernel, do I simply download it and install it
over the old one, or is there some process of uninstalling the old
kernel that is needed before a later kernel is put in?

(4) How much disc space, at the minimum, should I allot to Debian, if
I leave it essentially in a single block on the primary disc drive? I
assume that OpenOffice will be installed automatically (since it was
earlier); and I will try to install XAMPP, WordPress, and Drupal.