Re: Installing newer kernels

On 03/18/2016 01:21 AM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 19:27 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
Debian 6 is obsolete. You're going to want to do a
backup-wipe-install-restore cycle on both machines and move to Debian
7
(or 8).

Why not do a dist-upgrade?

1. The few times I tried, I ran into problems. When I was done, I had no little confidence in the results. I was not alone in my experience; upgrade and post-upgrade issues are a common subject on this list.

2. By keeping my system drives small and putting data/ services on specific machines, backup-wipe-install-restore cycles don't take very long and I end up with a fresh machine that works as expected.

3. Maintaining proficiency with backup, wipe, install, and/or restore operations requires practice. Improvement requires investment of time and money.

I'm currently using manual procedures and home-grown scripts. The next step up would be a deployment/ management automation tool such as Puppet:

    https://puppetlabs.com/

David