Re: Installing newer kernels

On 03/18/2016 01:22 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 03/18/2016 01:21 AM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 19:27 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
Debian 6 is obsolete. You're going to want to do a
backup-wipe-install-restore cycle on both machines and move to Debian
7
(or 8).

Why not do a dist-upgrade?

1.  The few times I tried, I ran into problems.  When I was done, I had
no little confidence in the results.  I was not alone in my experience;
upgrade and post-upgrade issues are a common subject on this list.

I agree. The dist upgrade was problematic and I finally had to wipe the root partition for a clean install. Thankfully, from my Caldera days, I use /opt on a separate partition. There I have a $USER/ directory where I keep all of the usual /home$USER/ sub-directories such as Music, Video, Downloads, Documents, .mozilla , .thunderbird and the like. After re-install I merely restore the links and I am cleanly back in business. My two cents, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html