Re: Installing newer kernels

On Fri 18 Mar 2016 at 10:22:49 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/18/2016 01:21 AM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> >On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 19:27 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> >>Debian 6 is obsolete. You're going to want to do a
> >>backup-wipe-install-restore cycle on both machines and move to Debian
> >>7
> >>(or 8).
> >
> >Why not do a dist-upgrade?
>
> 1.  The few times I tried, I ran into problems.  When I was done, I
> had no little confidence in the results.  I was not alone in my
> experience; upgrade and post-upgrade issues are a common subject on
> this list.

>From memory, a lot of the problems are caused by leaving backports and
non-Debian stuff to go through the upgrade process instead of cleaning
up the system first.

Another snag is often the DE stuff in home directories. Because most
people preserve their /home across even fresh installs, they're going
to hit that problem anyway, fresh or upgrade. And it can be tougher
still if you maintain two distributions sharing /home.

> I'm currently using manual procedures and home-grown scripts.  The
> next step up would be a deployment/ management automation tool such
> as Puppet:
>
>     https://puppetlabs.com/

I can get a lot of hardware for $3000!

Cheers,