Re: GNOME Shell can't unmount my USB key

On Thu 11 Feb 2016 at 10:49:43 (-0800), Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2016, David Wright wrote:

> > > Yes, I know about caching, but on my system read/writes to removable
> > > devices are almost instantaneous.  So, there's been no problems.
> > > However, I did write my on udev rule to do the mounting/unmounting,
> > > and this was after reseaching expert advice on how to do it
> > > properly.
> >
> > Apart from not pulling the plug early, what pitfalls are you avoiding
> > with your carefully crafted udev rule?
>
> In 3 years of use, I've experienced no problems.  Why does no one
> believe me? And as far as "carefully crafted,"  I just modified a rule
> that was designed exclusively for flash/thumb drives by following the
> "manual."

I didn't express any disbelief. I've pulled the plug accidently on
occasion and usually find it unmounts ok so long as I haven't tried to
use the missing device (which can be as simple as switching panes in mc).

But I was interested in your rule because I haven't touched
/etc/udev/rules.d/ except to clean stale entries when swapping
NICs or optical drives. Again, you write "you should do some research
on udev and writing rules yourself", but I prefer learning by example
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers,
David.