Re: GNOME Shell can't unmount my USB key

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016, Me wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In GNOME Shell, when I click on the "Eject" option in the notification
> bar to unmount my USB key, it unmounts correctly and then immediately
> mounts again, as if I just plugged it.
>
> It happens only with the Kingston DataTraveler I own. I've tried on
> several desktops, and it seems to happen only with GNOME Shell. MATE,
> XFCE, and Ubuntu with Unity don't have the issue. And when I unmount
> it with Nautilus, it stays unmounted, as it should.
>
> This bug is annoying, as I can't be sure that nothing is writing on my
> key before unplugging it.
>
> I want to find the cause, and if necessary write a bug report. I need
> advice : should I report the bug to Debian or GNOME ? What additional
> information could I provide that could help ?
>
> Obviously, if someone has a way to fix this without reporting a bug, I
> would also be happy to read it.

You shouldn't have to "eject" it all.  Just plug it in and when done,
pull it out. The system should mount and unmount it automatically. We're
not talking Windows here.

The ONLY time I use "eject" is to physically eject the disk from my
CD/DVD drive.

Try not using "eject" and see what happens.  Use the "mount" command to
see if and where the USB thumb drive is mounted, etc.