Re: Libre graphics could become the standard if we push right now

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just for the record, if microcode can play with the CPU internal
>>> system state, say, the bits that specify whether the CPU is in
>>> supervisor or user state, there's not much to stop, for instance, a
>>> microcode update from providing an undocumented trap to a hidden
>>> routine in the BIOS that does deep packet inspection and arbitrary
>>> forwarding.
>>
>> http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/29730/processor-microcode-manipulation-to-change-opcodes
>
> While we're on the topic of horrible horrible things that I don't want
> to think about, and makes me want to move to a cave and run my own
> transistor-based CPU:
>
> https://libreboot.org/faq/#microcode
>
> And more generally, secret chipset firmware: https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel

Well, yeah, we've always been somewhat at the mercy of the CPU vendor,
but with billions of on-chip gates to play with, they can and do hide
all sorts of things in there.

Building a CPU out of transistors would be fun, indeed, but it would
eat power like crazy. LS logic would be much more reasonable, and
still not really subject to hidden vulnerabilities other than your own
bugs. I don't think I'd want to build anything beyond a 6809 or maybe
a 6812 that way, and, even there, the power dissipation would be in
the same range as a portable electric heater. Convenient in winter, in
some ways, but you'd have trouble opening up a web page with it.
E-mail, maybe, if you add DMA harware.

Programmable logic is theoretically susceptible to rigging by the
manufacturer, but anything less is not going to be very useful.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html