Re: eagle-lin64-7.5.0.run, won't

On 1/19/16, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 05:19:34PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> I hadn't thought of that.  My bad. OTOH, although no one has come thru
>> the router except to view my web page, do I really want to do that in
>> the event they do get thru?  That could make their raising a little hell
>> just that much easier.
>
> Only root can add a user to the admin group.

I couldn't find the words to bring together to answer him yesterday,
but I know what he's saying. In self-teaching myself how to
debootstrap where you set up EVERYTHING yourself, I had to read up a
little on adding groups. One warning floating around out there is that
we should add ourselves to the absolute barest minimum of groups
possible.

The reason? Every group that we add ourselves to, yes, conveniently
expands our privileges, but then, yes, woefully expands the access
privileges of anyone who might hack into our systems.

The alternative is battling what isn't working that is the reason
we're considering upping the number of groups for which our user(s)
is/are a member. The payoff is easier Debian'ing for the the folks who
come behind us....

Is it sound or audio I've just seen bantered around a little? I'm not
member of that group, but I still get sound. My user is member of a
very limited number of groups. I just ran the command "groups" and
received back dialout, sudo, netdev, and its own ("elf").

Debian Wiki has a SystemGroups page with a few group descriptions:

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups

Audio's description is: " This group can be used locally to give a set
of users access to an audio device (the soundcard or a microphone)."

Oh, man, you all may have just solved one of MY long term issues...
not being able to record via microphone. *smacking head and laughing
(out loud) *

PS The netdev one, had completely forgot about it. This thread gets a
second k/t for incidentally possibly solving something elsewhere
there, too.  If any of you all are part of the most recent threads
going on about networking failures, would you please consider asking
the original posters on those if their affected user is member of
netdev? Users like us being a member of netdev became almost a
necessity in recent times. Thank you! :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* words #fail me. *