Re: eagle-lin64-7.5.0.run, won't

On Saturday 16 January 2016 10:57:55 Curt wrote:

> On 2016-01-16, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> >> So its full path is /home/gene/eagle-7.5.0/bin/eagle, not
> >> /bin/eagle?
> >>
> >> Lisi
> >
> > I was cd'd to /home/gene/eagle-7.5.0 and the command issued was
> > bin/eagle, which is perfectly legal syntax.
>
> Not if bin is not in your path it isn't.

Oh?  Since when?  Neither is /home/gene/log, but I use that regularly in
several scrips and from the command line since I have a
user=me "tail -fn100 log/fetchmail.log" running in a console tab right
now.  I long ago got sick and tired of fighting with permissions on
stuff in  /var/log that I ought to be able to read, and moved stuff that
belongs to me to /home/gene/log, including in the logrotate scripts.

If that syntax is now broken, somebody forgot to tell my mostly wheezy
system.

> Otherwise, the message from bash is:
>
> bash: eagle: command not found
>
> not
>
> bash: /bin/eagle: No such file or directory
>
> > FWIW, I even tried the full path, same error.  And I could cd into
> > bin and eagle was visible in an ls listing, but wasn't found by an
> > ./eagle

FWIW, I do have /home/gene/bin in my $PATH, and there is no difference in
how the stuff in gene/bin runs. I put it early in the path so I could
override what may be in more conventional paths on this system with many
years of cruft accumulated. But now I can type "mailwatcher 2>&1
>/dev/null &" or "bin/mailwatcher 2>&1 >/dev/null &" and either works.

I had a heck of a time getting it unpacked, similar problems. If eagle
wants to be a cast iron bitch about who can run their stuff, it IS
eagles problem now, I  have enough of gEDA running to get the job done.

Thanks Curt.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)