Re: LXDE Display Coordination

I found this link:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/18444/how-do-i-increase-console-mode-resolution

With some tweaking, it worked.  But:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration
Says the payload command should be:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
The orginal method did not include "-LINUX' at the end of the payload.

When I changed that per the description below, it worked.

Open /etc/default/grub with your favorite editor as root.
Localize the line that says GRUB_GFXMODE= ... and change it to the resolution you want. Add another line for a new variable called GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX with the same resolution. It should look similar to this:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080x32
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1920x1080x32

Save and exit. Then edit as root /etc/grub.d/00_header
Localize the line that says if [ "x${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_GFXMODE=... . As before, change the resolution there to the one you want and add another line for payload:

if [ "x${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_GFXMODE=11920x1080x32 ; fi
if [ "x${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=1920x1080x32 ; fi

Finally, locate the line that says set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE} and add a line for payload below it. It should look like this:

set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
set gfxpayload=${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX}

Save and exit.
Still as root, refresh grub with

update-grub2

Reboot, and both the grub menu and the console should have nicer resolutions.

This worked for all but the log on screen.

Felix has shown another method to run xrandr to ground, so I will reset the above two files and proceed with xrandr to see how it performs.