Re: LXDE Display Coordination

ray composed on 2015-11-01 11:26 (UTC-0800):

> Thank you for the post.  The challenge I have with changing the font is
> there are many places where this seems must be done.  For example, I can
> set the desktop font but not the panel font nor the fonts of the pop ups.
> Each application has its own font control.

> Additionally, when booting, it takes 12 seconds to paint the high res
> screen.  And the text is not legible; although the text during the boot
> process is quite large.  As I am building this, I reboot a lot, so I don't
> like any waiting.  So once I get the desktop lined up, I will be looking
> for a solution resolution during booting.

I just did a fresh Stretch install with LXDE to confirm nothing's changed
lately. Recent Intel video driver versions are picking up video= from cmdline
to make the Xorg default. I typically include video=1440x900@60 on kernel
cmdline with a 1680x1050 display. With Intel video driver, this makes X start
in 1440x900 unless overridden by xorg.conf* or xrandr. With this fresh
installation, I put 'xrandr --dpi 108 --output VGA1 --mode 1680x1050' in a
startup script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ to get LXDE to start in the display's
native 1680x1050 mode and using an artificial DPI to enlarge Xorg objects
(including text) 26.5% (1.125^2; 108/96 ^2) over default.

Whether ATI or Nouveau drivers are picking up video= from kernel cmdline I've
not checked lately. Nevertheless, if you want to run some mode other than
your display's native mode without needing to fiddle with any DE's settings,
it remains possible using xrandr as I did (or as Charlie suggested via ~/),
or setting PreferredMode in /etc/X11/xorg.conf*.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/