Re: Stretch installation boots to read only

On Tuesday, 22 December 2015 08:00:05 UTC, Gary Roach  wrote:
> OK
>
> systemctl --failed gives
> root@supercrunch:/etc# systemctl --failed
>    UNIT                                 LOAD   ACTIVE SUB DESCRIPTION
> ● anacron.service                      loaded failed failed Run anacron jobs
> ● apache2.service                      loaded failed failed LSB: Apache2
> web server
> ● autofs.service                       loaded failed failed Automounts
> filesystems on demand
> ● colord.service                       loaded failed failed Manage,
> Install and Generate Color Profiles
> ● console-kit-log-system-start.service loaded failed failed Console
> System Startup Logging
> ● exim4.service                        loaded failed failed LSB: exim
> Mail Transport Agent
> ● munin-node.service                   loaded failed failed Munin Node
> ● postgresql@9.1-main.service          loaded failed failed PostgreSQL
> Cluster 9.1-main
> ● postgresql@9.4-main.service          loaded failed failed PostgreSQL
> Cluster 9.4-main
> ● systemd-hostnamed.service            loaded failed failed Hostname Service
> ● systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service       loaded failed failed Create
> Volatile Files and Directories
> ● systemd-update-utmp.service          loaded failed failed Update UTMP
> about System Boot/Shutdown
>
> LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
> ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
> SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
>
> 12 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
> To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
>
> And fstab:
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
> # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
> # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
> #
> # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
> /dev/sda1          /            ext4     rw noatime      0 1
> # UUID=3b06b2a3-6daa-4b9f-983b-84501950bc9c  / ext4    rw, noatime
> 0       1
> # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
> /dev/sda5        none            swap     sw               0 0
> # UUID=0a63cffb-6edb-4d5c-a1f6-a2438d4a7745  none swap
> sw              0       0
>    /dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0       0
>
> This didn't work with the UUID's either.
>
> And the mount -a error is:
> root@supercrunch:/etc# mount -a
> mount: /etc/fstab: parse error: ignore entry at line 9.
>
> I think that covers everything. I went through the apt-get process until
> no more files needed updating. Ran apt-get check etc. Nothing showed up.
>
> Gary R.

/etc/fstab uses spaces to separate the fields. There may, once upon a time, have been a good reason for that design decision.

So your line:

/dev/sda1          /            ext4     rw noatime      0 1

needs the space between rw and noatime to be replaced by a comma and no space.

As Marc pointed out above.

anxiousmac