Re: Stretch installation boots to read only

Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> I Just upgraded from jessie to stretch. I needed a piece of software
> that wasn't available in jessie. Since then, my system boots to a
> command line prompt. Since /dev/sda1 has been mounted ro, Xwindows
> doesn't start. I have to log in as root, run mount -o remount,rw
> /dev/sda1 /, exit from root and then run startx each time I reboot the
> system. If i run mount -a, an error occurs in fstab at line 9 which
> happens to be the mounting instructions for /dev/sda1. I re-wrote the
> line to read /dev/sda1    /  ext4  rw, noatime    0   1 and commented
> out the old line. The error still happens at the same place.

Without you providing the exact error nobody will be able to help you.

So please paste the complete /etc/fstab as it is without any
modifications, deletions or alterations, the output of "systemctl
--failed" without any omissions and the exact error you get after "mount
-a" without any own interpretations.

Grüße,
Sven.

--