Stretch installation boots to read only

Hi all;

I Just upgraded from jessie to stretch. I needed a piece of software that wasn't available in jessie. Since then, my system boots to a command line prompt. Since /dev/sda1 has been mounted ro, Xwindows doesn't start. I have to log in as root, run mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /, exit from root and then run startx each time I reboot the system. If i run mount -a, an error occurs in fstab at line 9 which happens to be the mounting instructions for /dev/sda1. I re-wrote the line to read /dev/sda1 / ext4 rw, noatime 0 1 and commented out the old line. The error still happens at the same place.

During boot sda1 passes the system check and after hand rebooting the system works fine. An fsck check passes with flying colors. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here.

Gary R.