Re: Incorrect group on /dev/fd0? "disk" vs "floppy"

On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 18:56 +0000, Brian wrote:
> I don't think any of the solutions do help you to write to a raw
> device,
> whether it be a floppy or a USB stick. Writing a Debian ISO to USB is
> not uncommon here and I do not appreciate having to be root to do it.
> mistake in one letter in the command could ruin your day.

dd'ing an image to a raw device does require root.

> Those who do not have root privileges don't even have the opportunity
> wipe their hard disk, or dd an installation image to a removable
> device
> to pass on to an interested friend. If the thinking behind the change
> had been *explained* one could be more sypathetic to it.

The rest here does not, changing labels, formatting, creating
partitions, mounting images etc. works with udisks.

Writing ISO to USB could also be done through udisks presumably?

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson