Re: Incorrect group on /dev/fd0? "disk" vs "floppy"

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 22:09 +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
>> Believe it or not, but I still have a floppy disk drive in my
>> workstation, and I have to use it occasionally! I just noticed that
>> my
>> user was not allowed to write to /dev/fd0 even though it belongs to
>> the group "floppy". I found that /dev/fd0 belongs to the group
>> "disk",
>> and I don't think it should. Granting a user the ability to write to
>> floppies is not nearly as dangerous as allowing it to write to
>> everything in the "disk" group.
>
> There's a (quite long) bug report about this here, but it seems to be
> for systems without systemd:

Interesting! I had no idea such a simple case could be so problematic
(or that the maintainers could be so rude). I think that bug report
covers my case well enough. My immediate issue was that I could not
write a disk image to /dev/fd0, and I'm not sure how the solutions
could help me, but really, it's rare enough that I don't mind sudoing.
I just thought it was an interesting regression.

Thanks for the links!

// Anders