Re: Incorrect group on /dev/fd0? "disk" vs "floppy"

On Thu 17 Dec 2015 at 01:04:43 +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 22:09 +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
> >> Believe it or not, but I still have a floppy disk drive in my
> >> workstation, and I have to use it occasionally! I just noticed that
> >> my
> >> user was not allowed to write to /dev/fd0 even though it belongs to
> >> the group "floppy". I found that /dev/fd0 belongs to the group
> >> "disk",
> >> and I don't think it should. Granting a user the ability to write to
> >> floppies is not nearly as dangerous as allowing it to write to
> >> everything in the "disk" group.
> >
> > There's a (quite long) bug report about this here, but it seems to be
> > for systems without systemd:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=751892
>
> Interesting! I had no idea such a simple case could be so problematic
> (or that the maintainers could be so rude). I think that bug report
> covers my case well enough. My immediate issue was that I could not
> write a disk image to /dev/fd0, and I'm not sure how the solutions
> could help me, but really, it's rare enough that I don't mind sudoing.
> I just thought it was an interesting regression.

I don't think any of the solutions do help you to write to a raw device,
whether it be a floppy or a USB stick. Writing a Debian ISO to USB is
not uncommon here and I do not appreciate having to be root to do it. A
mistake in one letter in the command could ruin your day.

Those who do not have root privileges don't even have the opportunity to
wipe their hard disk, or dd an installation image to a removable device
to pass on to an interested friend. If the thinking behind the change
had been *explained* one could be more sypathetic to it.