Re: Differences Between ThinkPad Models

On Dec 4, 2015 8:35 PM, "Jape Person" <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 12/04/2015 01:07 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> My exact thoughts. My T420 is so flexible that you have to be careful
>>> when you pick it up so as not to pop the cd drive open. Too bad. I'm
>>> told the earlier ones, when IBM was still in the picture, were rock
>>> solid. Maybe if I cxould find a used T60......
>>

>> I think they do two grades now.  The more expensive ones are reputed still to
>> be good.
>>
>> Lisi
>>

> Interesting how perceptions on physical build quality of computer systems differ.
>
> I've not particularly cared for plastic cases on laptops/notebooks since the *early* Toshibas. Those things were indestructible. I actually fell on top of a T1200 in a mud puddle and continued to use it for years afterward. (Don't ask. Let it suffice to say I am a master of face planting.)
>
> I've had two Dell Inspirons which actually decayed into pieces over a short time (never dropped). Thinking I'd have better luck with Dell's business grade stuff, I bought a Dell Precision laptop (metal casing and frame) which was absolute junk. The casing and frame were fine, but it experienced multiple motherboard and drive failures. I tossed it in the recycle bin 2 years after I purchased it.
>
> My Lenovo T520i is plastic. Yeah, it sounds like plastic when you tap the hand rest of lid with your fingernails, but the frame doesn't flex at all when I carry it. I've had it twice as long as the Dell Precision. It cost about 1/5th as much as the Dell, and it's had one failure -- a mechanical failure of a key. Lenovo sent me a replacement keyboard and instructions two years after purchase, no questions asked.
>
> It was also easy to buy the Lenovo with no OS installed. I've never found a way to get Dell to cooperate on that matter -- at least not on any of the models I wanted to buy.
>
> The IBM IdeaPads and/or R models always seemed to exhibit a lower grade of construction quality than the ThinkPads. I think the lines between the Lenovo consumer grade and business grade equipment may have become a little blurred since then. My observation only. No data to back this up other than what I've witnessed directly in stores and at the publishing company where I used to work, which is obviously not anything like an industry-wide reliability survey.
>
> The only problem I see with the plan outlined in the OP is that flashing the free BIOS can brick the system. I see a lot of caveats at that site. Still might be worth the risk. I've been thinking of buying one of the gluglug refurbished units. But maybe I'll try this instead.

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T540p and while I was able to install Debian, then Ubuntu and Mint, I have to say this:
Wireless doesn't work! I mean it does, at lower speeds and eventually you have to turn the adapter off and rescan and reconnect. Couldn't get more than 400KB/s with Linux. On Windows it's a different story..
Try to avoid this model if you plan to use Linux also as apparently it's part of a series which seems doomed from this point of view.