Re: A stop job is running for...

On 12/02/2015 02:04 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
Am 02.12.2015 um 18:58 schrieb Jape Person:
On 12/02/2015 12:17 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
In case you run into such a situation again, where a service is blocking
the shutdown you can of course just use force and pull the plug or use
sysrq b.
But there is a nicer alternative: just hit ctrl+alt+del quickly 7 times.
systemd then will initiate a forced shutdown. See [1].

..

Do you think it's better just force the shutdown than to rummage around
in the service unit files? I'm loath to edit system configuration files
unless it's to configure something like smartmontools or some such --
you know, something that is more ordinarily edited in order to get it to
do some specific job.

I guess that argument could apply to service units, but I'm not used to
this stuff, yet.

In your case it seems to happen much more often, that the service does
not shutdown in a timely manner. So this should actually be investigated
properly.

Aye, there's the rub!

The phrase "investigated properly" would seem to indicate that someone who knows what s/he's doing would be performing the analysis.

How about me doing my usual thumb-fingered job on it, and then coming back here for advice when I have enough bruises on my forehead to prove that I have indeed been to the wall?

;-)

My remark regarding using a forced shutdown via ctrl+alt+-del is only
supposed to be a fix for very rare cases.

I also wouldn't consider it a proper fix to simply decrease the shutdown
timeout of the affected service. That's a hack at best.

Michael

Yes, I was beginning to be dimly aware. I don't like futzing around with files in system or root owned areas unless they are designed to be futzed with. Not only because I don't like having my modifications overwritten during upgrades (and I do always choose to write the maintainer's upgrade over my modification and then change it again as necessary), but also because I don't like knowing that all sorts of weird stuff might happen if I do something particularly stupid.

I am, after all, very experienced and accomplished at being particularly stupid. It's why I run testing. I like having a plausible explanation, other than my own ineptitude, for having things go wrong.

Have a nice day!

JP