Re: A stop job is running for...

On Wed 02 Dec 2015 at 11:06:09 (+0000), Martin Read wrote:
> On 02/12/15 03:07, James P. Wallen wrote:
> >Thanks for your response, Sven. It's nice to know that someone else has
> >seen this type of problem. I was thinking that this could be
> >self-inflicted. Perhaps that's a little less likely now.
> >
> >So, is this behavior controlled by systemd?
> >
> >I'm not trying to start a fracas. I'm really interested. What I'm asking
> >is, do I need to start poring over systemd documentation to see if there
> >might be a way to control this behavior?
>
> If a stop job is taking two minutes, that suggests that the service
> has one or more ExecStop lines defined in its service unit and that
> one of those commands is taking an unduly long time to complete for
> some reason.
>
> The default and per-service timeout values for stopping a service
> (after which systemd gives up and sends fatal signals to all of the
> service's processes) are configurable; see the
> systemd-system.conf(5) and systemd.service(5) man pages for details.

I have observed behaviour where, when the time limit of 90 seconds is
reached, the limit increases by another 90 seconds and nothing else
happens (for hours). eg

[ <*> ] A stop job is running for Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles (34min 54s / 36min)_

Fortunately, that hasn't happened for a few months. It's very
embarrassing when my laptop takes longer to close down than my
wife's W10.

Cheers,
David.