Re: debianlive iso with xfce and clamav

On Wed, November 25, 2015 10:32 pm, David Christensen wrote:
> On 11/25/2015 07:47 PM, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
>> Dare I ask whether this would work with a USB-interface drive such as
>> the Toshiba Canvio Connect II (reformatted, for example, to ext4)?
> I suppose.  But, I prefer small, dedicated, solid-state system drives.
> (I use SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 16 GB flash drives.)

I happen to have a USB-powered breastpocket 1 gibabyte mechanical drive,
which costs about US$50.

An old spare machine here has several USB ports, so I booted from a USB
flash stick and now am in the middle of installing Debian Jessie 8.2.0 to
the mechanical USB drive.

This is one of the most valuable techniques I have been shown.

> That said, there are valid reasons for putting the rescue operating
> system and the images on one large capacity device -- for example, if the
> computer has only one USB port.

I do not understand.

1. Would not that require the drive to be partitioned into an
"installation" partition and a "debianlive" partion?

2. And would it not be necessary that both partitions be bootable?

3. Or is the "installation" partition ruined when the boot loader is
installed?

Russ