Re: debianlive iso with xfce and clamav

On Tue, November 24, 2015 10:54 pm, David Christensen wrote:
> On 11/24/2015 01:26 PM, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to recover data from a virus-damaged Windows machine.
>> For
>> this work, I wish to run debianlive with xfce desktop and clamav.
>
> I have found that I am able to install Debian Wheezy onto a USB flash
> drive that boots and seems to work on desktops and laptops made since
> ~2005.  This allows me to install whatever software I want.  Have you
> tried this approach?

I do not understand why the regression to Wheezy; the debianlive ISO
copied to a USB flash stick gave me Jessie with xfce and synaptic, and
with the flash stick I booted the Windows machine; NetworkManager
performed beautifully.

Then, using synaptic, I installed clamav and another utility or two
(including Midnight Commander) which enabled me to inspect the machine.

The only problem I encountered was an error message when I executed rsync
on a Debian desktop in order to copy the drive of the Windows machine;
there was something which ssh did not like, and with Google I discovered
that others, too, have experienced the difficulty.  But it turned out that
by executing rsync on the Windows machine running debianlive, I was able
to copy the drive.

But it would be nice to have a customized debianlive ISO which includes
clamav and mc and a few other packages.

Russ