Re: Debian seems unable to drive my (4) monitors

Il 25/11/2015 22:35, Ric Moore ha scritto:
On 11/25/2015 03:14 PM, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
Pretty Please,
tell me this isn't true:
The only sensible answer I got from debian list boils down to: "use
proprietary driver".

This is truly sad, especially since I *know* Linux Mint (which is a
debian derivative, through ubuntu parentage) does indeed work
out-of-the-box with *no* configuration at all.

If this is the same box, you can mount the mint drive/partition and look for an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to copy to your Debian install~or~ follow these steps:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-multiple-monitors-in-linux/?ALLSTEPS
Site is up again.
That is one of the sites I checked before.
Instructions given there do not work for me.
After trying them I doubt they work for anyone nowadays; they're over eight years old and a lot changed in Linux/X world since.
What was sound advice is now retrocomputing.
The exercise of deleting misleading old info isn't practiced often, unfortunately.

The HUGE reason I recommend the nvidia driver is that you will get much better performance IF you want to play openGL games and less tearing as you move windows from monitor to monitor. Yeah, I am a selfish shameless pig.  <cackles> Ric
Also this info isn't very state-of-the-Art.

Regards
Mauro