Re: debianlive iso with xfce and clamav

On 2015-11-25, rlharris@oplink.net <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> On Wed, November 25, 2015 7:22 am, Brian wrote:
>> On Wed 25 Nov 2015 at 11:29:52 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>>> David
>>> is talking about using the USB as an installation target.
>>
>> Personally I would forget about a customised Debian Live and follow
>> David's suggestion to install Debian on a USB stick. Unstable can be
>> installed to a stick with the mini.iso from
>>
>> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-i386/current/
>> images/netboot/
>
> I am ignorant here; the technique is new to me.
>
> After installation to a USB stick, then what?  Do I boot the Windows
> machine with the USB on which Debian is installed?

Yes. You then use the OS in the same way as if it were installed on the
hard drive.

> And does the resulting environment differ from the environment provided by
> the debianlive ISO?

Any changes you make will persist to the USB across reboots. (The system
might feel slow compared to a 'normal' installation.) The live iso, on
the other hand, is intended for installation and system rescue and is
read-only.

--

Liam