Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:15:33 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> I just now remembered the Asus eeePC.  Those can run Debian, can they
> not? If so, that may be the solution.  And the combination of an
> eeePc and G4 modem may be less expensive than is a smartphone.

I have an Acer Aspire One, unfortunately with the original very slow
8GB SSD, but it runs Debian unstable usably. It has wifi and I also use
a GSM dongle, assisted by the much-maligned Network Manager, which
handles both of these plus openvpn. It Works For Me (tm). I also have a
little rechargeable Bluetooth GPS device, for the odd occasion that I'm
on foot somewhere unfamiliar.

Netbooks do still exist, but cost as much as real (15"+) laptops. Yes,
something about the size of a Kindle, running proper Debian, that might
be something I could carry all the time. With, as you say, an entirely
separate and definitely extremely stupid phone.

--
Joe