Re: smartphone forum for the technically-oriented

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:07:52 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Sat, October 17, 2015 2:48 pm, Joe wrote:
> > I have an Acer Aspire One, unfortunately with the original very slow
> > 8GB SSD, but it runs Debian unstable usably. It has wifi ...
>
> I have a slow laptop, but closed it measures 10in x 15in x 1.5in and
> weighs 6 pounds.  The large screen is nice regarding visibility, but
> the machine is too big and too heavy for use in the car, even if the
> passenger is willing to hold in in his/her lap.  And the first time
> you hit the brakes and the machine slides off the seat onto the
> floor, the machine likely gets damaged.  And even if the car is
> stopped on the side of the road or in a parking lot, it is difficult
> for the driver to reach over and pick up the machine.  And even if he
> can reach over and pick it up, the steering wheel prevents the
> machine from being placed in the lap of the driver.
>
> But a machine about the size of the eeePC should be usable in the car.
>

> > Netbooks do still exist, but cost as much as real (15"+) laptops.
> > something I could carry all the time. With, as you say, an entirely
> > separate and definitely extremely stupid phone.
>
> A simple but usable machine which is with you all the time can be
> worth infinitely more than a better machine which is not practical to
> carry.

Exactly. I take the netbook on holiday and to the pub and hardly notice
the weight, there's no way I would carry my full-sized laptop any
distance. I'd just like one which fitted in a jacket pocket, but had a
big enough screen to be useful for something more than three-line
emails. My daughter has an iPad which is very nice, but it's still a
hand-carry job rather than pocket-sized.

And the OS... Windows is rapidly heading down the walled-garden route,
not yet quite insisting that you need a Microsoft account to use it,
and must use only MS-approved software, but it's not very far short of
that... I don't think Google is any better, and we know Apple isn't. It
really has to be proper Linux.

--
Joe