Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

On 16/10/2015 01:46, Joel Rees wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]

How to do an autologin? In a DE independent way?

http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=autologin&apropos=1
gave no relevant links.

A Google search gave only decade old or DE related links.

I currently use Mate, but exploring other desktops(avoiding Gnome
3!!!;}.
I'd like something similar to autoexec.bat from DOS/CPM days.

I received two suggestions, neither suitable:
   1. nodm was recommended by the ??? who has publicly stated that he ignores
      how I phrase my questions.
NO, NO, NO!

Brian is just trying to tell you you are asking the wrong questions!

How much EASIER it would be if you would only give in to the
inevitable coming standardization on systemd.

   2. runt was also suggested. I chased down a series of links but didn't see
      how to apply it to my preferences.
Brian is right about one thing, the various DEs are not unified on
this particular point.  Whether we should accept his implicit
assertion that systemd will (ultimately) unify the DEs (and servers
and IoT devices) on all things technical, well, I won't touch that
today.

Prior to my post I had done a web search for "autologin". I did another with
[I assume] slightly different criteria. I suspect "DE independence" may not
be achievable.

Well, not exactly. Consider the differences between Android 4 and
Android 5 on this exact point.

One problem is that some kiosk mode techniques assume that you really
don't want to login at all, where others will require you to make a
choice of which user login to auto-login as.

(If you used Mac OS X, autologin is an option in the user management
control panel, or, at least, it was up until 10.4. It was a radio
button in the control panel where you changed passwords, etc. Required
authentication.

it still is an option in 10.11

Android, on the other hand, up until Android 5, made up an ephemeral
user, so-to-speak, but it wasn't really ephemeral, and it basically
put all control over logging in into the hands of the manufacturer
(and carrier).

It's a seemingly simple question with big implications in the marketplace.

I know Android 5 changed, but I haven't bought a device to look at it
yet. Money is tight here. Likewise, I'm unfamiliar with iOS and Mac OS
since 10.5, etc.)