Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:11:45 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> An ISP hands out an address in a private range and it is assigned to
> the external interface of a router? I do not understand this but know
> I have much to learn about networking. Any enlightenment in the
> offing?

That's an easy one. An ISP unwilling or unable to lease public addresses
for all his customers. In the old days, there was just a modem pool,
much smaller than the number of customers, but now everyone is online
all the time. It's not unusual with the really big domestic ISPs who
came to the game too late (or were in the wrong country) to get enough
addresses.

It also ensures that nobody runs any kind of service, and the other
side of that coin is that nobody can try to break in apart from other
customers on the same broadcast domain. Less helpdesk hassle. The moral
is that if you're changing ISP and you want a public address, make sure
first that you'll be getting one.

--
Joe