Re: make system boot straight to browser connection

[resend, had not appeared in archives after 2 hours]

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:13:01 -0700
tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:

I want to setup a system so that when the power button is pushed on
the PC, the system connects to the internet and starts a browser
without a login or any other intervention by the user.

There are no security issues.

Is this doable?

Definitely doable. I do it every day. Set up my computer for autologin,
open browser to page wanted. Save session in Xfce. Every time the
computer is restarted, it comes up, logs in, starts firefox.

How to do an autologin? In a DE independent way?

http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=autologin&apropos=1
gave no relevant links.

A Google search gave only decade old or DE related links.

I currently use Mate, but exploring other desktops(avoiding Gnome 3!!!;}.
I'd like something similar to autoexec.bat from DOS/CPM days.