Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:13:21 -0700 (PDT), ray <ray@aarden.us> wrote:

> On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 7:20:04 AM UTC-5, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 04:48 -0700, ray wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It might be easier to simply use installation media with the firmware
> > included:
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
> >
> Sven,
>
> Thank you.  I downloaded the file, built the iso and ran it.  I get the same
> results as above.

'built the iso'- what do you mean by this? I presume you meant 'wrote the iso'?

> I am wondering if I may be operating the GUI incorrectly.  The laptop has a
> very high resolution.  I have to magnify the scrren to read it.  I do not see
> the typical two bottons in the bottom right corner.  I may not be operating
> this correctly - or there are no buttons there at this stage.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'the GUI'- if you're using the
netinstall CD with non-free firmware as recommended by Sven, you should have a
text-based ncurses-based interface, as opposed to the graphical installer.

Your second suggestion I think is probably what actually happened. During the
'hardware detection' phase of the installation process (where as you noted,
there are indeed no buttons), it can sometimes hang for a bit, usually for a few
seconds. It can take up to a few minutes on some machines, though. Be patient.