Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 12:55:36AM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> i read the piece on installing  without systemd. i get the feeling
> that the bottom line of it is: good luck. or am i missing something?
>
> who  decided that Debian shd be locked to systemd?

The Debian Technical Committee (tech-ctte) were asked to "vote on and
decide on the default init system for debian)[1]. Discussion took place
over five months and votes were cast. The result [2] ended in a tie
between systemd and upstart. The tie was resolved by the tech-ctte
Chairman (who was at that time Bdale Garbee), who voted for systemd.

The tech-ctte are empowered by the debian constitution to decide on any
matter of technical policy, and is composed of Debian Developers (DDs)
appointed by the Debian Project Leader.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708#6729

> what did they do to poll the views of the user community on the question?

As noted above, bug #727708 was open for several months, plus there was
lively debate on both the -devel and -user mailing lists.

> is it true that Red Hat had a major influence on the Debian decision makers?

Perhaps you're referring to
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708#6959

> from what i've read so far, systemd is still very much in beta at
> best. wd people on this list agree with that?

That may be the case, but it is already significantly better than SysV
init. If, as you suggest, it's in beta, then it can only get better with
everyone's help.

> On 10/13/15, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No. :) Ric
> >
> > I tend to be wandering around way out in left field a lot, but
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
> >
> > Also, this is something I just saw:
> >
> > http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > Now, I must say, as near as I can tell, there is no escaping from the
> > influence of the cabal at this point, but is that what the OP was asking?
> >
> > Joel Rees
> >
> > Computer memory is just fancy paper,
> > CPUs just fancy pens.
> > All is a stream of text
> > flowing from the past into the future.
> >

> --
> Once its survival is on the line, a species will often find powers
> unimaginable in the days of its complacency.
>

> On 10/13/15, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No. :) Ric
> >
> > I tend to be wandering around way out in left field a lot, but
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
> >
> > Also, this is something I just saw:
> >
> > http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > Now, I must say, as near as I can tell, there is no escaping from the
> > influence of the cabal at this point, but is that what the OP was asking?
> >
> > Joel Rees
> >
> > Computer memory is just fancy paper,
> > CPUs just fancy pens.
> > All is a stream of text
> > flowing from the past into the future.
> >

> --
> Once its survival is on the line, a species will often find powers
> unimaginable in the days of its complacency.

--
For more information, please reread.