Re: Can't reinstall all Jessie packages

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 12:16:35AM +0530, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I may be wrong, but I can suggest three methods:
> 1. (conceptually shouldn't work) : apt-get remove <package name>; apt-get
> install <package name>
> 2. (should work...your intentions must break your system): apt-get purge
> <package name>; apt-get install <package name>

That won't work. Imagine what happens when the OP gets to the package
"apt". They remove or purge the package (assuming that they pass the Big
Fat Warning) and suddenly "apt-get install apt" returns "command not
found" and their system is hosed.

I don't know how --reinstall works, but it may be trying to do the same
thing in which case reinstalling everything is probably a bad idea.

--
For more information, please reread.