Re: Gnome Audio Alerts

On Sat, 2015-09-05 at 02:42 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 10:44 PM, Jose Martinez wrote:
> > Once again, the audio alerts on my gnome desktop have ceased to work.
> > This problem occurred once before and was addressed here on the list.  I
> > have looked up that old thread on the debian.org site, and double
> > checked everything that was mentioned there.
> >
> > I have checked that /org/gnome/desktop/sound/event-sounds is indeed
> > checked in the dconf editor.
> >
> > I have checked that gnome-session-canberra is in fact installed.
> >
> > I have check that sound-theme-freedesktop is installed.
> >
> > In the settings (gnome-control-center) the alerts show to be on, and the
> > volume for them is set at the max.
> >
> > I have run the command canberra-gtk-play --id="dialog-error".  The
> > result of that command is no audio output of any kind, and no errors
> > reported on the console.
> >
> > I re-installed both gnome-session-canberra and sound-theme-freedesktop
> > packages and rebooted the system.  This also had no effect.
> >
> > Anyone with any more ideas???
>
> Have you tried alsamixer yet? Ric

Thank you for your response, Ric.  I hadn't tried alsamixer. In fact,
I've never pulled the alsa mixer up since install, I'm using PulseAudio,
and so have used the PulseAudio controls.  In any event, I'm not sure
what I should see with the alsa mixer, but I only have a master playback
control, which is at 100% and a capture control, also set for 100%.
There are no other controls available on the alsamixer.  I'm almost to
the point of completely un-installing gnome, and then re-installing
gnome from scratch (if that is even possible) to see if I can get them
back.  I play music and other audio all the time, but I also use the
audio notifications, especially for email, and hate it when they are
out.

--
Que te vaya bien