Re: How to Boot with LVM

Rick,

Thank you for responding and providing all the info.

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 6:20:07 AM UTC-5, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2015, at 7:24 PM, ray wrote:
>
> > I would like to configure LVMs for everything including boot.
>
> Is it "just for fun" or do you have a real-world reason for wanting everything, including boot, to be on LVM?
Lack of knowledge.  I was expecting it to be cleaner.  But it no longer looks that way.

> I'll describe my own typical setup (special purpose systems may have different setups to meet special purpose needs).  For purposes of illustration, I'll describe a system with two identical disks.  The principles should be clear as they apply to systems with larger or more varied configurations.  If you have only a single disk, you can skip the RAID parts in this and go straight to LVM.

I have 3 pairs of SSDs, each pair in a RAID0.

> I configure a small (<1GB) "/boot" partition as a primary partition (e.g. /dev/sda1) on one of the disks, with the same space on the other disk unused. [1]  I make another primary partition (e.g. /dev/sd[ab]2) , on each of the disks, sized to be one half of the size I want for my swap.  The rest of the space on each disk goes into a single, large, logical partition (e.g. /dev/sd[ab]5).

This is similar to my setup.  I have the swaps on a separate RAID0.

> The two swap partitions I set up as a RAID0 (e.g. /dev/md0).  This will be my system swap. [2]
>
> The two large logical partitions, I configure into a RAID1 (e.g. /dev/md1). [3]

I made my large partition a primary.  Could this be problematic?

> I configure the RAID1 as the physical volume for a single volume group which I partition using LVM into a root that's big enough to be about 50% full when fully installed,  and /home that's as big as I think I'll need for my users.  The remainder of the VG I leave unconfigured, so I can grow into it as needs become apparent over time.
>
> If I have enough RAM to make it useful, I'll put /tmp on a tmpfs.  I size it at about 50% of my swap space.  With a smaller RAM, I make a separate logical volume for /tmp.

I would like to know more about the purpose of these criteria - please.

> [1] I know there are ways to make grub work with RAID1, but it's too complicated for me to get it right.  Instead, I just make regular backups of the /boot partition.  If the disk with /boot on it develops a bad spot in an inconvenient place, I simply boot from a CD in rescue mode and restore the contents of /boot from a backup into the unused space that I reserved on the other disk.

Yes, that was my plan also.  But it was also my plan to backup the rest of the system to HDD.  As such, I planned for no redundancy in drive configuration and only stripe for speed.