Re: ask.debian.net

> On Aug 28, 2015, at 1:43 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>>> There is a mailing address and phone number listed. At any rate, you can
>>> always register a new domainname. Ric
>>
>> Ok. The other people on this list got me the information that I needed
>> and I am in the process of setting up discourse now for ask.debian.net
>> thanks to this list.
>
> You are? That's quick! Discourse looks interesting but it is worth
> querying whether the quality of the software running a site is critical
> to the site's popularity. ask.debian.net started off well enough; quite
> a number of developers answered questions. But, as time went on, it
> declined. My view is that this mailing list and forums.debian.net are
> enough for the Debian help system.
>
> Be that as it may, would it be it be asking too much to keep this list
> informed on progress. Thanks for your work.

I think it's worth giving discourse a shot. The Shapado site is depressing and we may as well make some use of that subdomain. I've purchased a TLS cert and secured a server for a year so perhaps we can reevaluate the success of the site at that point.

I will be sure to provide an update on my progress.

>> I don't think you understood the nature of my request but if it was not
>> for this list I have no idea how long it would have taken to get in
>> touch with the person I needed.
>
> I think Ric does understand the request but cannot resist putting the
> boot in. :) It's all part of the debian-user experience.

Is it? If so that's a horrible user experience. I've been a part of the Debian community for many years and have somehow managed to get help and help others without trolling people.