Re: pptp-based vpn

Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):

> > David Wright writes:
> > > I'm hoping that the current discussions regarding its unsustainability
> > > end up in some sort of subscription model, whereupon there's no reason
> > > to disqualify people overseas.
[...]
> We are talking about the ordinary broadcasting, which is available to UK
> living Licence payers.  (Or Licence non-payers, David. ;-)  )
>
> Not everything is available after the event on iPlayer anyway.  But they try
> to ensure - unsuccessfully -  that only Licence payers get any of it.

The iplayer is available to anyone in the UK, regardless of whether
they have a paid a licence fee or not. That's one of the reasons
the current scheme is so unfair.

> They
> control the Licence very badly, and we need a new model.  How can you
> reasonably ensure, with today's technology, that someone only watches
> television live on a TV?

I think you need to phrase that the other way round. If you watch or
record *any* live TV, you need a licence. If you only acquire the
programmes after a delay (streamed or downloaded *after* the broadcast),
then you don't need a licence. (Am I right in thinking they only
recently moved PVRs into the licence requirement? We still have three
though their contents are all from our fee-paying days.)

Cheers,
David.